Matthew 4:19

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

Monday, October 24, 2016

Persistence...

Some up and downs this week. The best part was that Estuardo was baptised on Friday and it went great. Hes seriously converted to the gospel and is already planning to serve a mission. Incredible!

The rough part was it seemed these last few days all of our appointments were falling through and every door we knocked seemed to shut fairly quickly. One lady in particular saw us and started screaming ¨Oh no ones home! No ones home!¨ Wagging her finger in my face and shared a little bit of spit on my nose lol. She opened the door and as she opened the door holy crap I think I counted literally 27 cats in her house. They all attempted to leave as soon as she opened the door. She kicked em all back in and shut the door behind her as she left to go buy bread from another lady in the street. But the door was left cracked. 

It started to open and I noticed and saw all the cats about to get out so I shoved the cats back in the house and tried to shut the door. She turned around and saw me with my foot in the door and hand on the handle and assumed I was trying to enter into her house uninvited...Oh boy. What a scene. This lady just screamed and screamed and cussed and cussed at me. 

I attempted to explain that I was trying to help her and not let her cats out but she literally turned her back to me and started talking to some other lady in the neighborhood and pretended not to hear me. After realizing this chick doesnt care just wants to cause a scene against the Mormons I reached in my pocket and said, ¨Can I atleast offer you a small card with a picture of Jesus Christ?¨ I will fully admit that although it may not have appeared to be, it was my snarky sarcastic way of messing with her after causing that scene ;) lol

While I wanted to say oh sooooooooooo many things to that ¨playa¨ (Those who know a little bit of spanish will get that joke lol) I refrained. I think toward the end she did realize that I was trying to help her because of the manner I was speaking to her but her pride just wouldnt let her admit it. 

I immediately thought of the scripture, 

¨And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.¨ Matthew 10:14

I know the Lord is with us. I feel His presence every day. I know this is His work. When something like that happens or a door is slammed in our face I always think of Jesus on the cross saying, ¨Forgive them Father for they know not what they do.¨ 

There is nothing one can do except press forward. My companion and I wanted to just go home after that because we were both fairly sad and upset, but we kept knocking doors until finally the last one of the night opened up. It was a non member with a cousin in the mission who was super happy to see us. We shared the Restoration with him and it was incredibly spiritual. He is now progressing and a solid investigator. I know that would not have happened had we decided to give up and go home. 

I love the Lord and I love HIs work. Im grateful for the miracles I see every day. I hope you all have a good week! 

Love you all,
Elder Gurksnis



No comments:

Post a Comment