Matthew 4:19

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

Monday, November 17, 2014

The greatest 8 year old EVER!

Well if you haven't read many of my emails I would read this one! haha Well we had our baptism for Marcos this past Saturday!  It went great. He is honestly the most awesome 8 year old I've ever met in my life. He's hilarious and so nice.  His reaction in the baptism was so funny when he walked down the steps into the cold font water.  Priceless. Lol The next day at church he sat next to me after he had his confirmation.  He was just so awesome and kept asking me these questions about the church and the spirit and everything and he's just the most awesome kid.  He's had some family problems I think.  His dad who was baptized about 4 months ago had a relapse on his alcohol addiction and showed up to one of our lessons with Marcos completely drunk.  It was really sad to see and just awkward.  But were gonna go visit their family again this week and see whats up.




No leche comments this week haha but its honestly just funny!  I love the people here so much already.

My funny story for the week... so we went to this inactive families house the other night and talked and stuff and the wife gave us sandwiches with nothing but ketchup, mayonnaise and a cold hot dog in sandwich bread.  I got through it, thank you haha.  So we had a follow up this past Friday.  I was nervous because i knew she was going to offer us food again and refusing food is about the rudest thing you can do here.  She set down about 6 tortillas on a plate with what she said was eggs beans cheese and this sauce inside.  Doesn't sound to bad right?  She said "hope you like it its a little bit of an experiment."  Well this wasn't your average McDs breakfast biscuit.  I took one bite of tortilla wrap from hell and hollllly crap.  I don't know how but I got that one bite down without throwing up all over her couch.  I waited a few seconds and asked, "Hermana do you have any water or fresco by chance?"  And I'll tell you what son... the second she turned around I stuffed the rest of that thing in the front pocket of my shirt so fast.  She had set 6 down on a plate.  Thankfully, Cano has a gift/curse and can literally eat anything.  He was dying laughing and at the same time crying inside from the food.  But he took one for the team and downed 5 o 'em suckers.  He was up a lllllll night puking it up. But I think thats a story I won't forget haha!

So Thursday I think it was, we were on our way to the house of one of our new investigators, Bertha S.  She lives in not a super sketchy area but somewhat sketchy.  The second after we had left the appointment before, I immediately had this super weird feeling.  I felt like we shouldn't go to her house and I had no idea why.  I wasn't ignoring the feeling, but I decided I wouldn't say anything and just wait til we got to her street and see if I was still feeling that way. So we get to her street and I just told Cano, "hey hombre hold up. Lets pray real quick."  It was something we had never really done before and he just looked at me weird and asked why?  I said straight up I have no idea but I just feel like we should.  So I said a prayer for us, and as soon as I said "amen", Cano said we can't go to this appointment.  I hadn't said anything to him about my feeling before that.  And I just said, "alright I'm feeling the same thing. I guess we'll just go to a members house and wait for a little bit."  We were talking about it and were just like dude that's just weird that I was feeling that and you felt the same thing after the prayer.  So we get to the members house, and POP POP POP!  We hear about 4 or 5 gun shots coming from the direction we just came.  It was pretty nuts, to say the least. We went back to Bertha's house about 2 days later and she just said she heard them too but didn't see anything.    I'm just thankful!  I don't know what would've happened but I've always known not to ignore promptings from the Spirit but never had it been so strongly demonstrated in my life obviously.  But that's the thing about living here, although it's dangerous, I'm not worried in the least because I know as long as were being obedient and listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, nothing bad will happen.

So thats all I got for this week.  Loving it here more every day.  Our first change is this Thursday but I won't be going anywhere. Changes, btw, are every 6 weeks and it's when missionaries get sent to different areas or change companions but not every change.  But it's a possibility that Cano moves, but I dont think he will because he still has another change of training to do with me.  But well see!

Hope everyone has a fun safe week!
Texas Forever,
Elder Gurksnis





No comments:

Post a Comment