Matthew 4:19

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

Monday, December 5, 2016

Testifying of the Plan of Salvation

This week I learned maybe more than any other time in my life about the Plan of Salvation.

First I had divisions with Elder Guerrero, an Elder in our zone. We had a few lessons and I could just see how grand his testimony and his spirit were after just a few minutes. He's fairly new to the mission but his testimony is incredible. After having a few killer lessons we were talking that night and he told me about his story that he hasn't told anyone in the mission before. 

He's 21 years old and first sent his mission papers in at 18. For one reason or the other, it took him 3 mission calls to finally leave. The first two were because of random small things. But about a year and a half ago, he was living in Chile while his parents were living back home in Peru. His family went on a vacation while he was studying, and as they were driving up a third level parking garage, the car took a turn over the edge and fell three stories upside down to the first floor. The car exploded, leaving 8 family members dead. His parents, brothers and sisters, and two aunts and uncles all died in the accident. The story was on the news the following day.

We taught the plan of salvation to a new family, and listening to him bare his testimony about how he knows without a doubt that families can be together forever was incredible. Such a strong spirit. 

I used to think that I had been through a lot in order to be here, but that put things in perspective. I couldn't have done what he did. He told me he wishes the mission was longer and how two years is just not enough time. 

I'm truly grateful for Elder Guerrero and how his testimony strengthened mine. 

The Plan of Salvation is the plan that God has prepared for us since the beginning of time. We know we lived with God as spirits before we came into this world and we followed Jesus' plan to come to this world to receive a body and pass through difficulties and trials as well as times of happiness and joy; To decide if we will follow Christ and take advantage of His sacrifice and repent and be baptized for the cleansing of our sins and endure to the end, or no. We aren't expected to be perfect, but if we try we know we can have eternal life and life with our father in heaven WITH our families together for the eternity.

I used to think that this was common knowledge, but as President Uchtdorf taught in the last general conference, sometimes we don't realize how lucky we are to have that simple knowledge! 

I am grateful for the Plan of Salvation and I know its true. I hope we can all reflect on how lucky we are to have this perfect plan!

Love,
Elder Gurksnis

Don't my arms look "yuuuuuge!"





No comments:

Post a Comment