Matthew 4:19

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

We're not in Texas anymore...

Whats good everyone!!! Its been a while! haha 

This was my first week in the field and holy crap.... haha We're not in Texas anymore.  First off, again thank you for the birthday emails. It was a solid bday for not being at home!  Second, shout out to mom and dad for going 22 years strong on the 10th.  Love you guys :) and shout out to grandma Candy on your birthday a few days ago hope it was great!



Alright holy crap... so tuesday morning we left the MTC and I met with President Crapo and if yall remember I think in my last email I talked about that área that we drove by that just had houses stacked on top of houses?  Guess who got assigned there for his first área? This guy!  Most poor and most dangerous área in the whole mish.. turn up! And our área is dangerous but literally specifically where we live in Limon-  just me and my comp have the most dangerous área in the mission.  Sorry mom I know youre freaking out but I promise you I'm good!  I have seen a dead body already but what would a mission be without seeing a dead body? I have also seen 6 latino boobies because apparently its normal in Limon for people to start breast feeding when talking to the Mormons (Papa no le gusta Latino chi chis). I sent along some pictures of my area... I didnt take pictures of our actual house because i know mom would flip. LOL. Lets just say we live very minimally. BTW Limon is home to the biggest gang in Central America which is why it's so dangerous.  And there are so many of the scariest looking mut dogs I've ever seen on the streets.  Rabies is a big problem lol yikes.





So my first day was rough.  I can't believe I ever complained about the MTC honestly.  Hot showers and other Americans?  Yeah not anymore!  Our first night we got back from working and I was exhausted because I had to be up at 2 in the morning and hadn't slept.  We get home and leave to go next door to buy some wáter and I shut the door and my comp, Elder C from Honduras, forgot the key.  So he was explaining to me what we were gonna do but I only understood a little bit... but anyways we ended up walking about 5 miles at night way past our curfew (which is 1 1/2 hours earlier than everyone elses cause we can't be out late at night because of our area) in the freezing rain and spent the night at another companionships house in our district on the cold tile floor.  So yeah first two days were rough and I was just super homesick.



But the rest of the week was solid.  The first thing President Crapo said to me about my comp was he is probably the hardest worker in the mission.  And he wasn't freaking kidding.  We go to work.  Every day all day.  But its actually way fun!  When were out and working its way better because im not sitting in the house thinking about home.  But yeah this week we had the best numbers in our zone and I've been doing well I think at least for my first week in the field.  The thing is he's kinda nuts... LOL like I dunno he is louuddd and nuts.  But honestly I think that I couldn't have gotten a better trainer.  He talks really fast which Hondurans are known for, so fast that a few times the Guatemalans don't catch everything.  I can understand him depending on the day and conversation.  And what everyone has told me is if I get to the point after this three months with him and i can understand him, i can understand anyone.  So yes I'm pumped about my comp.  I prayed a ton for a good trainer and I think I did but well see in 3 months haha.

We also have some way awesome tranquilo members.  They're so nice.  Plus another thing about this área is they really like to have fun haha. I mean all the old people are just fist bumping and using slang its just hilarous to me.  I dont think I would've made it through this week without a few members in particular. 

But yes I've realized this is nothing like going off to college or anything close to that.  This will and has been so far the hardest 2 years of my life.  And I can't imagine many things being harder.  But if I came home right now, I would come home a different person for the better.  So i can't wait for these next 22 months (yes its already been almost 2 months).  And i'm lucky enough to know that every time I'm home sick and miss my family, they miss me just as much back.  Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded thee be strong and of good courage?  Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed.  For the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them : go ye unto all the world, and preach the góspel to every creature. 

To write me:

Elder Samuel Gurksnis
Guatemala, Guatemala City East Mission
Avenida La Reforma 8-60, Zona 9
Edificio Galerias Reforma
5to Nivel Oficina 505
Guatemala City, Guatemala

You can also always send a letter for free on dearelder.com.  Just choose the Guatemala City East Mission and enter my name Elder Samuel Gurksnis.  You don't even need a stamp:)

It may take a few weeks but any and all letters are appreciated! :)

Until next monday,
Texas Forever

Elder Gurksnis

p.s. Thank you Grandpa Tom, Grandma Gayle, Sandersons, and Grandma and Grandpa (TX) for the birthday money!  I promise to put it to good use...

No comments:

Post a Comment